To be eligible for educational benefits through the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), you must:
- Be at least ¼ Indian
- Be registered with a tribe that has a treaty with the U.S. Government and an assigned census number
- Meet all other criteria as required by your individual tribe
Students who are eligible to receive BIA benefits while attending BYU-Idaho need to complete the following steps:
- Submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current academic year.
- Contact your tribal agency office and request, complete, and submit the following:
- An application for education benefits
- A privacy release form
- Any other required documentation as required by your individual tribe
- Submit the completed privacy release form to the BYU-Idaho financial aid office, allowing us to disclose your financial aid information to your tribe.
- At the end of the semester, submit a copy of your final grades to your tribal office.
Policies regarding BIA benefits are not managed or controlled by BYU-Idaho. For more information regarding BIA educational benefits, please contact your tribal agency.