Student Teaching Interview Dates
|Winter 2019||Spring 2019||Fall 2019|
|Meet & Greet Dates||Mon, Sep 24, 2018||N/A||Mon March 4, 2019|
|Interview Dates||Tues, Sep 25,
||Mon, Jan 28,
||Tues, March 5, 2019|
Student Teaching Process
1. Research Partner School
- Learn more about the offered Partner Schools to find out which school and administration would best suit your needs.
- Plan to schedule interview time slots with schools that meet your Student Teaching needs.
- Our Partner Schools Locations:
- Local (Southeast Idaho)
- Weber, Utah
- Jordan, Utah
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Mesa, Arizona
2. Interview Sign Ups
- Student Teaching Interview sign-ups are held in the Field Services office a few weeks prior to Student Teaching Interview dates.
- Check your BYU-Idaho student email for updates on interview sign-up dates.
- Sign-ups are held during the Field Services Office hours (8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.)
- Interview slots are limited, first-come-first-serve.
- ECSE students cannot sign up for elementary school interview time slots.
- Please bring multiple copies of your resume and cover letter for your scheduled interviews.
- See our Field Services Student Teaching Interview Video for additional clarification.
- Contact the Field Services Office for more questions.
Candidates will be encouraged to leave the local area if at all possible. Local placements will be filled first with those candidates who require a local placement. If a candidate is not able to leave the local area, they will need to visit with the directors in Field Services before the interviews are held.
3. Meet & Greet
- The Student Teaching Meet & Greet will be held the day prior to Student Teaching Interviews.
- Students may come at any time during the Meet & Greet to meet in person partner school administration.
- Principals will be organized at their own table according to their partnership districts. As you mingle, you will be able to visit the principals, ask questions, and learn more about their schools.
- Although the Meet & Greet is less formal, you still want to present yourself professionally.
- Don't bring your resume during the Meet & Greet.
- This is a time where future Student Teachers can get to know the principals and schools. This is in contrast to the interviews where the principal will get to know the students.
- Interviews are held in person and by appointment only.
- Partner School Interviews are like a job interview. You should be professional and come prepared.
- Your student teaching placement will be determined by your interviews.
- Follow these tips for interview success:
- Start preparing your resume. For
resumehelp see the Career Services center on campus.
- Email the Field Services Office (email@example.com) to request a copy of your completed cover letter and resume.
- Attend mock/practice interviews through the Career Services center on campus.
- Review these Student Teaching interview prep questions.
- Start preparing your resume. For
- We highly recommend that you prioritize coming to the Student Teaching Interviews if you will not be in the Southeast Idaho area during the scheduled interview dates.
- If you are unable to attend the interviews, please contact the Field Services Office for other options.
- Check your BYU-Idaho student email for updates on interview dates.
5. Placement Assignment
- Following Student Teaching interviews, Partner schools will select their preferred students.
- Area Coordinators will meet and carefully review all information from the Student Teaching interviews regarding placement selections.
- Placement Details:
- All candidates are placed through this process.
- Placements are finalized as soon as possible following interviews.
- Spring placements are limited and only offered for ELED, ECSE, SPED (K-12) majors.
- Each candidate will receive an email from their Area Coordinator notifying them of their Student Teaching area/state.
- Final placement decisions are not sent out until the candidate has completed all Student Teaching Requirements.