Checklist for Your Formatting
When you have finished writing your paper, ask yourself the following questions:
- Is there a title page that includes a running head, page number, title, name, and school?
- Is there a header at the top of each page with the title in all caps flushed left and a current page number flushed right?
- Is the title page centered and double-spaced?
- Are margins set to 1” on all sides?
- Is the paper in the same font and size? (12-point, Times New Roman)
- Is the paper aligned to the left and not justified?
- Is the entire paper double-spaced?
- Is there just one space between paragraphs?
- Is each new paragraph indented with only one tab?
- Is there only one space after each period?
- Are your quotations and citations correct?
Checklist for Your References List
When you've finished writing your References List, ask yourself the following questions:
- Are the references on their own page at the end of the paper/report?
- Is the references page in the same font and size as the rest of your paper? (12-point, Times New Roman)
- Is the references page double spaced, with no extra space in-between each source?
- Do you have a header that includes the paper’s title and page number at the top of each page?
- Is the title "References" capitalized and centered one inch from the top of the page? (The title should not be underlined, placed in quotation marks, or punctuated in any way)
- Is every work cited in the paper included in the references page?
- Does every in-text citation directly relate to your references page?
- Are all entries in alphabetical order by the authors' last names? (For works with no author listed, alphabetize by the first word of the work's title ignoring the words A, An, or The)
- Does each entry have a hanging indent? Indent all but the first line of each entry one-half inch or five spaces.
- Are extra spaces eliminated between entries? Is the whole paper double-spaced?
- Have you double-checked your entries for accuracy?