BYU-I & ISU B.A./M.A.
Transitional B.A./M.A. in English Opportunity at Idaho State University
Idaho State University Department of English and Philosophy invites BYU-I students to apply for a transitional B.A. to M.A. opportunity that will help students to complete their BYU-I B.A. and an ISU M.A. in English in as little as five years.Below we provide some information about this opportunity. Students considering this route to a M.A. should also click here and familiarize themselves with ISU Graduate Programs by reviewing the ISU Graduate Studies and faculty web pages. For further information, please contact the English Graduate Director at ISU.
Students may apply after the completion of four or five semesters at BYU-I to begin at ISU in August or in January.
To be considered for this opportunity, BYU-I students must:
- Complete a minimum of 60 undergraduate credits, with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Complete a minimum of 9 upper-division credits in English
- Complete the following BYU-I courses (or their equivalent):
- 251 Fundamentals of Literary Interpretation
- 252 Fundamentals of Research and Presentation
- 314 Advanced Research and Literary Analysis
- 325 Theory and Practice of Language - Grammar and Usage
- 370R Major Authors
- And one of
- 351 Fiction
- 352 Poetry
- 353 Drama
- 354 Nonfiction
Please note that students who have not yet met these minimum requirements, or who would like to familiarize themselves with the ISU English faculty and coursework in preparation for submitting a graduate application, should consider taking undergraduate coursework in English at ISU during one or more off semesters at BYU-I.
Applying for Admission
Students who wish to be considered for this program must apply for admission to the English graduate program by submitting the following:
- An application to the ISU Graduate School
- Transcripts indicating a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher
- GRE scores, including scores in the 50th percentile or higher on the verbal section
- A statement of purpose describing their preparation in English, specific interests in graduate-level work in English, and related future professional goals
- Three letters of recommendation that discuss their background and aptitude for graduate-level work in English
- A 10-page writing sample that demonstrates the applicant's ability to do graduate-level research and writing in English.
Further information on where to send these materials is available on ISU's English Graduate Application Information Page.
Review of Applications
Applications are reviewed by the ISU English Graduate Committee. Decisions are based on the strength of the applicant's record, their demonstrated potential for graduate-level work in English, and the relative fit of the applicant's interests with the teaching and research expertise of the ISU English graduate faculty.
"Conditional" and Classified Admission
Students who are admitted to pursue this transitional B.A./M.A. opportunity are granted conditional admission, which is called "Classified with Performance Requirements." To achieve full admission (classified status with no performance requirements), students must complete 12 credits of graduate-level work in English with a G.P.A. of 3.5 or higher, complete ENGL 6612 Introduction to Graduate Studies in English with a B or better, and complete their bachelor's degree. The M.A. cannot be granted until the B.A. is complete.
We are excited to partner with ISU to offer this opportunity.