Field Services

1. What is the Field Services Office?

The Field Services Office is part of the Teacher Education Department.  It creates, supports, and administers field placements associated with students in all education programs: secondary education (SECED), elementary education (ELED), special education (SPED), and early childhood education/early childhood special education blended (ECSE). Field experiences include practicums, student teaching, and internships. Field Services also works with the Academic Advising Centers and Teacher Education Department for career placements, surveys, assessments, and accreditation.

2. Where is the Field Services Office located?

Hinckley 325.

3. What are our office hours?                                                    

Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. (Closed Tuesday and Thursday from 2-3 for devotional and forum).

Student Teaching Preparation Process

1. How do I get started on my Student Teaching Preparation Process?                                                  

Go to the Field Services home page and click on the icon labeled Student Teaching Preparation Process. Follow the directions on this page.

2. How soon can I start the Preparation Process?                                                  

It is never too early to start the Preparation Process. Students are encourage to complete the process before the Preparation Process due date to allow time for any necessary corrections.

3. What are the available student teaching semesters?                                                  

All majors can apply for any semester (Fall, Winter, Spring). However Secondary spots are limited in the Spring following participation in Partner School Interviews. 

Approved Grad Plan

1. How do I complete a Grad Plan?                                                  

Log on to MyBYUI. Click on the Student tab, Degree Information, and the Graduation Planner. Follow the directions to complete and submit your Grad Plan. The approval process may take up to two weeks.

2. What do I do when my Grad Plan has been approved?                                                  

Email the Field Services Office ( to notify them of the approval. Include the Target student teaching semester on your Grad Plan in the email.

3. What if the Grad Planner tool does not work?                                                  

Contact your department's Academic Advising Center for questions about the Grad Plan tool. 


1. Where can I get my fingerprinting done?                                                  

BYU-Idaho Field Services office (HIN 325).

2. What if I am living in a different state and need to get my fingerprinting done?                                                  

Email the Field Services office ( with your current mailing address and a fingerprinting packet for the State of Idaho will be mailed to you. Fingerprinting can be done at local police stations. (This process applies only to those currently residing in the United States).

3. What do I need to bring when coming to get my finger prints done?                                                  

Some form of government-issue picture ID (example: driver's license or passport). 

4. How soon can I get them done?                                                  

Finger printing can be done anytime within our office hours (M-F, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, closed Tuesday and Thursday 2:00-3:00 PM for Forum and Devotional) after you have applied for student teaching. The process will take about 20 minutes. No appointment necessary.

5. Do I need to come in more than once if I have been placed a different state?                                                  

Students who will complete their student teaching outside of the state of Idaho will need to be fingerprinted again for the state they will be student teaching.  Field Services can fingerprint students placed to student teach in Utah and Arizona.


1. Where do I go to ask about practicums?                                                  

Contact Sister Reed in Hinckley 353.

Praxis Exams

1. What test do I sign up for?                                                  

Required PRAXIS exams can change without notice. You will be able to find the most accurate information at You can also contact your program director for specific test questions.

2. When should I take the Praxis?                                                  

Take it early enough so that there is time to retake it if needed. Foreign language students need to check extra early because of limited seating and limited testing dates. Remember you cannot student teach without passing all your Praxis exams.

Partner School Interviews

1. When and where are the Interviews?                                                  

For those student teaching in Spring 2017, interviews will be January 30, 2017. For Fall 2017, interviews will be March 6-8, 2017. For Winter 2018, interviews will be September 25-27, 2017. All will take place in the Manwaring Center (rooms will vary).

2. What do I need to bring when I interview?                                                  

You are required to bring a copy of your resume. for each interview. You may wear practicum nametag if you still have it.

3. Who will I be interviewing with?                                                  

Principals and/or Area Coordinators from our partner schools.

4. How do I schedule my interview?                                                  

Prior to the interviews our office will send out an email with directions on scheduling.

5. Is there a place to get help with my resume and interview skills?

 The Career Services office on campus provides several services, including help with resumes and interviews. Visit their webpage for more information.

6. When can I sign up for interviews?

Sign-up times are generally 2 to 3 weeks prior to interviews. Interview slots are limited, first-come-first-serve.                                             

7. Can ECSE Students sign up for Elementary interview times?

No. ECSE students cannot sign up for elementary school interview time slots.

8. What if my interview runs long and I miss my second interview?

Students will not be able to sign up back-to-back. If a student signs-up for back-to-back appointments the field services offices will automatically drop the second appointment to ensure both appointments can be attended.

9. Career Navigator asks for a resume when signing up for interviews, is this necessary?

A resume may be uploaded in this field, both are acceptable. Please bring a copy of your resume to each of the interviews you schedule.


1How do I request a specific placement?                                                  

Student teaching placements will be made at the discretion of our Partner schools and Partner Districts following the Interviews. Interview with the school(s) in which you are most interested. It is highly recommended that you interview with more than one school, and with more than one district, in the event that you are not extended an invitation by the one that is your first choice. Take the time to go to our web page and investigate all of our partner schools so you can make informed decisions about which schools to approach for an interview.

2How long until I know the school where I am placed?                                                  

You may be extended an offer to an area shortly after interviews.  If you have not received an offer of placement two weeks after interviews have concluded, please visit the Field Services Office. Your Area Coordinator will contact you after you have been placed with the specifics of your assignment (school you will be teaching at and your mentor teacher).  Keep in mind it may take up to a few weeks before you begin your student teaching experience to know those details.

3. How soon will I know who my mentor teacher is?                                                  

Similar to learning about your placement school, knowledge of your school, you receive the information as soon as we receive it.  For some, you may not know who your mentor teacher is until you start your student teaching experience.

4How do I know where I am going to live?                                                  

There is approved housing for the single teacher candidates.  For questions regarding housing, please contact Marc Sunderland (208-496-9222) in the Housing Department.  Married students can also contact Housing for help or advice in searching for housing.

5What if I am not placed with a partner school?                                                  

If you are not placed in a partner school, you will be placed in a school in the surrounding area. 

6. Can I student teach when I am off-track?                                                  


7How long is the student teaching experience?                                                  

Student teaching assignment start and finish dates vary depending on the school and semester. Student teaching dates follow the district's semester which is different than the BYU-Idaho semester duration.  Your student teaching experience will be anywhere from 14 to 20 weeks.  The fall semester can start as early as August and continue through December, the winter semester can begin at the beginning of January and conclude as late as mid-May, and the spring semester's duration can continue from April through August. Teacher candidates are expected to participate in teacher in-service and work days, as well as parent teacher conferences. District and school specific student teaching dates will be sent to all education students via email during the semester prior to the start of your student teaching assignment.

The Teacher Placement File (or the Career Placement File)

1. What is the Teacher Placement File?                                                  

This is a file with letters of recommendation from your university supervisors and mentor teacher(s).  This also includes the student's summative evaluation(s) from their student teaching.  Most employers require this file when considering a new hire for their school district.

2How do I get my Teacher Placement File?                                                  

Email the Field Services office: Please include your name, student teaching semester, I-number, and email address that you would like the file sent to.


1Why should I certify in the State of Idaho?                                                  

Reciprocal agreements between most states augment the process of obtaining licensure from other states if licensed in Idaho.

2If I don't plan on teaching in Idaho, what does my alternate state require?

The graduate is responsible to personally research alternate states' requirements and application procedures.

3When can I apply for my Idaho teaching certificate?                                                  

After the posting of your BYU-Idaho degree, which is usually two to three weeks following graduation.

4. How do I apply to be certified?                                                  

Go to the Field Services Office Certification webpage: Click on the "Certification PowerPoint Presentation" and watch the PowerPoint. It will give you the information you need to apply. 

5. What is the process of submitting the B-2 form?                                                 

The institutional Recommendation is a form received from BYU-Idaho that verifies the graduate has met all requirements from the State of Idaho and BYU-Idaho.  It includes the following information: Personal identifiable information (name, address, social security #, etc.), Educational information (endorsement and student teaching information) Testing information (Praxis results, etc.), and Completion of program verification.
This form may be obtained by submitting a request from the Field Services web site:  Click on "Institutional Recommendation (B-2)" to request your recommendation after graduation.  Please do not bring in a copy of the B-2 form for our office to fill out; we will not accept it.  Your degree must be posted before requesting the institutional recommendation form.  You will receive two copies of the completed B-2 form: one is for your personal record, and one to be sent to the State of Idaho.

6. How do I send a form to get certified for a different state?                                                  

Students are responsible to research the requirements for the state they wish to be certified in.  If your state requires a different form that needs to be filled out by BYU-Idaho's education certification officer, Sister Frongner, please email it to

7. If I am student teaching and applying for jobs in other states but I am not certified, who do I contact?

Research the state requirements for the specific location you would like to apply to.

Teacher Career Services
University Message