Field Services

1. What is the Field Services Office?

The Field Services Office is part of the Teacher Preparation Department.  It creates, supports, and administers field placements associated with students in all education programs: secondary education (SECED), elementary education (ELED), special education (SPED), and early childhood education/early childhood special education blended (ECSE). Field experiences include practicums and student teaching. Field Services also works with the Academic Advising Centers and Teacher Education Department for career placements, surveys, assessments, and accreditation.

2. Where is the Field Services Office located?

Hinckley 325.

3. What are our office hours?                                                    

Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. (Closed Tuesday and Thursday from 2-3 for devotional and forum).

Student Teaching Preparation Process

1. How do I get started on my Student Teaching Preparation Process?                                                  

Go to the Field Services home page and click on the icon labeled Student Teaching Preparation Process. Follow the directions on this page.

2. How soon can I start the Preparation Process?                                                  

It is never too early to start the Preparation Process. Students are encouraged to complete the process before the Preparation Process due date to allow time for any necessary corrections.

3. What are the available student teaching semesters?                                                  

Student teaching is available all semesters (Fall, Winter and Spring). However, we are only able to accommodate ELED, SPED and ECSE during Spring semester. Secondary candidates need to plan to student teach Fall or Winter semester.

Approved Grad Plan

1. How do I complete a Grad Plan?                                                  

Log on to MyBYUI. Click on the Student tab, Degree Information, and the Graduation Planner. Follow the directions to complete and submit your Grad Plan. The approval process may take up to two weeks.

2. What do I do when my Grad Plan has been approved?                                                  

Email the Field Services Office ( to notify them of the approval. Include the Target student teaching semester on your Grad Plan in the email.

3. What if the Grad Planner tool does not work?                                                  

Contact your department's Academic Advising Center for questions about the Grad Plan tool. 


1. Where can I get my fingerprinting done?                                                  

BYU-Idaho Field Services office (HIN 325).

2. What if I am living in a different state and need to get my fingerprinting done?                                                  

Email the Field Services office ( with your current mailing address and a fingerprinting packet for the State of Idaho will be mailed to you. Fingerprinting can be done at local police stations. (This process applies only to those currently residing in the United States).

3. What do I need to bring when coming to get my finger prints done?                                                  

Some form of valid government-issued picture ID (example: driver's license or passport). 

4. How soon can I get them done?                                                  

Finger printing can be done anytime within our office hours (M-F, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, closed Tuesday and Thursday 2:00-3:00 PM for Forum and Devotional) after you have applied for student teaching. The process will take about 20 minutes. No appointment necessary.

5. Do I need to come in more than once if I have been placed in a different state?                                                  

Students who will complete their student teaching outside of the state of Idaho  will need to be fingerprinted again for the state in which they will be student teaching.  Field Services can fingerprint students placed to student teach in Utah and Arizona. You may be fingerprinted at a live site in those states instead of printing in our office. Please be advised that it takes time for prints to clear and you will not want to wait on this. We encourage you to take care of this housekeeping item early on in the semester leading up to your student teaching. Those students teaching in Nevada will need to be fingerprinted in Nevada. If you are placed in Las Vegas, you will need to plan to arrive there and get settled at least one week prior to your start date to have time to complete your background check. You will not be allowed to enter your placement until you have been cleared by the designated state.


1. Where do I go to ask about practicums?                                                  

Contact Sister Reed in Hinckley 353.

Praxis Exams

1. What test do I sign up for?                                                  

Required PRAXIS exams can change without notice. You will be able to find the most accurate information at You can also contact your program director for specific test questions.

2. When should I take the Praxis?                                                  

It is recommended that all students take and pass the practice Praxis prior to attempting the real test. Take the Praxis early enough so that there is time to retake it if needed. Foreign language students need to check extra early because of limited seating and limited testing dates. Please check to see when your results are due to ensure that you are set to student teach (typically, the due date for these exams is mid-term prior to your student teaching semester). Remember you cannot student teach without passing all your Praxis exams.

Partner School Interviews

1. When and where are the Interviews?                                                  

For Fall placement, you will interview in March. For Winter placement, interviews will be in September. Spring placements are limited to ELED, ECSE and SPED candidates only, due to the fact that most schools are not in session during the summer months. Interviews for Spring will be in January.

2. What do I need to bring when I interview?                                                  

You are required to bring a copy of your resume. for each interview. You may wear your practicum nametag if you still have it.

3. Who will I be interviewing with?                                                  

Principals and/or Area Coordinators from our partner schools.

4. How do I schedule my interview?                                                  

Prior to the interviews our office will send out an email with directions on scheduling.

5. Is there a place to get help with my resume and interview skills?

 The Career Services office on campus provides several services, including help with resumes and interviews. Visit their webpage for more information.

6. When can I sign up for interviews?

Sign-up times are generally 2 to 3 weeks prior to interviews. Interview slots are limited, first-come-first-serve.                                             

7. Can ECSE Students sign up for Elementary interview times?

No. ECSE students cannot sign up for elementary school interview time slots.

8. What if my interview runs long and I miss my second interview?

Students will not be able to sign up back-to-back. If a student signs-up for back-to-back appointments the field services offices will automatically drop the second appointment to ensure both appointments can be attended.

9. Career Navigator asks for a resume when signing up for interviews, is this necessary?

A resume may be uploaded in this field, both are acceptable. Please bring a copy of your resume to each of the interviews you schedule.


1How do I request a specific placement?                                                  

Student teaching placements will be made at the discretion of our Partner schools and Partner Districts following the Interviews. Interview with the school(s) in which you are most interested. It is highly recommended that you interview with more than one school, and with more than one district, in the event that you are not extended an invitation by the one that is your first choice. Take the time to go to our web page and investigate all of our partner schools so you can make informed decisions about which schools to approach for an interview. If you MUST stay in a particualr area, you will need to visit with one of the Directors of Field Services to obtain clearance to interview with that particular area only.

2How long until I know the school where I am placed?                                                  

You will be informed via email of your placement (the area and district, and in most cases, the specific school) within the week following the interviews. It may take some time for your Area Coordinator to contact you with the specifics as to mentor and grade, so please be patient and understand that we are at the mercy of the administrators to obtain this information.

3. How soon will I know who my mentor teacher is?                                                  

Keep in mind that your administrator may not have the specifics made until just a few weeks before you begin your student teaching experience. Your Area Coordinator will get this information out to you as soon as it is available.

4How do I know where I am going to live?                                                  

Candidates are responsible for securing their own housing during student teaching. Area Coordinators can give guidance and answer questions, but they are not responsible for finding a place for candidates to live.

5What if I am not placed with a partner school?                                                  

If you are not placed in a partner school, you will be placed in a school in the surrounding area. 

6. Can I student teach when I am off-track?                                                  


7How long is the student teaching experience?                                                  

Student teaching is a 14 week experience that aligns with the University calendar. Teacher candidates are expected to participate in teacher inservice trainings and workdays, as well as parent teacher conferences as outlined by individual districts.

The Teacher Placement File (or the Career Placement File)

1. What is the Teacher Placement File?                                                  

This is a file with letters of recommendation from your university supervisors and mentor teacher(s).  This also includes the student's summative evaluation(s) and Professional Learning Plan from their student teaching.  Most employers require this file when considering a new hire for their school district.

2How do I get my Teacher Placement File?                                                  

Email the Field Services office: Please include your name, student teaching semester, I-number, and email address that you would like the file sent to.


1Why should I certify in the State of Idaho?                                                  

Reciprocal agreements between most states augment the process of obtaining licensure from other states if licensed in Idaho. Your active certification in Idaho gives our office the ability to process recommendation requests from most, if not all other states. Upon completion of student teaching and graduation, it is imperative you complete the certification process through the state of Idaho. You will have a 2 year window to apply for licensure. To avoid the possibility of additional coursework and exams, we strongly encourage candidates to not delay in requesting your Institutional Recommendation from our office so that you can be certified. If you wait beyond that 2 year time frame, you will be required to meet any new requirements that may have changed, before BYU-Idaho can issue the recommendation.

2If I don't plan on teaching in Idaho, what does my alternate state require?

The graduate is responsible to personally research alternate states' requirements and application procedures.

3When can I apply for my Idaho teaching certificate?                                                  

After the posting of your BYU-Idaho degree, which is usually two to three weeks following graduation.

4. How do I apply to be certified?                                                  

Go to the Field Services Office Certification webpage: Click on the "Certification PowerPoint Presentation" and watch the PowerPoint. It will give you the information you need to apply. 

5. What is the process of submitting the B-2 form?                                                 

The institutional Recommendation is a form received from BYU-Idaho that verifies the graduate has met all requirements from the State of Idaho and BYU-Idaho.  It includes the following information: Personal identifiable information (name, address, social security #, etc.), Educational information (endorsement and student teaching information) Testing information (Praxis results, etc.), and Completion of program verification.
This form may be obtained by submitting a request from the Field Services web site:  Click on "Institutional Recommendation (B-2)" to request your recommendation after graduation.  Please do not bring in a copy of the B-2 form for our office to fill out; we will not accept it.  Your degree must be posted before requesting the institutional recommendation form.  You will receive two copies of the completed B-2 form: one is for your personal record, and one to be sent to the State of Idaho.

6. How do I send a form to get certified for a different state?                                                  

Students are responsible to research the requirements for the state they wish to be certified in.  If your state requires a different form that needs to be filled out by BYU-Idaho's education certification officer, Sister Frongner, please email it to

7. If I am student teaching and applying for jobs in other states but I am not certified, who do I contact?

Research the state requirements for the specific location you would like to apply to.

Teacher Career Services
University Message