As a courtesy to our students, BYU – Idaho provides information and guidance for the certification process in Idaho. 

We do not research or provide other states' rules, regulations and processes.

Certification – whether in Idaho or any other state – is a POST GRADUATION process.  It is up to you as the graduate to do your own homework to discover your chosen state’s particular process for certification and to determine whether or not you will seek licensure in Idaho or a different state.  Most states have directions for certification on their Department of Education web sites.

We do process verification forms for students who are applying for certification in other states.  

  • These forms should be sent to Sister Carol Frongner in the Student Teaching Office, along with the following information:
    • Name, as it appeared on the campus data base at the time of graduation
    • Year and semester you student taught
    • I-number
    • Name of degree (example: Elementary Education, Mathematics Education, etc.)
    • Current address
    • Current phone number
  • Enter your personal information onto the verification form. 
  • We will complete the institutional portion of the document, make sure it has the appropriate signature and or seal and return it to you, unless directed otherwise by the instructions on the form.
  • If you are certified in the State of Idaho, attach a copy of your certificate

BYU – Idaho urges graduates certify in Idaho for the following reasons:

  • Proof of Licensure in Idaho facilitates licensure in other states by removing the need to expend additional time verifying current certification status.
  • Licensure in Idaho can save graduates both time and money. Without Idaho licensure many states will require completion of additional requirements prior to issuing a license.
  • Under the reciprocity agreement, graduates can obtain a provisional license, gain employment, and work in another state within a grace period, allowing time to meet additional requirements of the specific state.
  • As always, there are exceptions to the rule.  While many states require certification, some require individuals be certifiable, and a few only require a transcript indicating the individual has graduated with a degree in education.  It is up to the graduate to discover the specific requirements of the state in which they choose to teach.
  • Students are urged to maintain certification in Idaho, although  the student is responsible to determine whether or not to do so.