Leaving BYU-Idaho?

Terminating Employment

If you are leaving the University for a different job or transferring to another university, you will need to transfer all cell phone lines off the BYUI/Sprint account.  You have a few options as to how you can do this.

  • You can transfer your numbers from the BYUI Corporate account to your own Sprint individual account. Go online to http://sprint.custhelp.com/app/COO/Main or call the Sprint Loyalty office @ 866-780-1928 between 6 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. PST. BYUI has a blanket release on file that will release your numbers without having to fill out any paperwork to leave our account. The Loyalty office representatives can assist you in finding the best plan and pricing for your needs. If your phones are still under contract, you will not have any early termination fees by utilizing this option. **For a limited time, you will receive $150 service credit when moving your phone numbers from the BYUI account to a new Sprint Individual account AND upgrading to a new devie on Sprint Easy Pay or Sprint Lease.
  • Port (transfer) your number to a new cell phone provider.  You will need to have your new provider call the Sprint Department here at BYUI for the account information to release your number. You will have an early termination fee (ETF) if your phone is still under contract. Please see the ETF policy for details about fee amounts and using your current phone when changing providers. You will be responsible for the full month of service charges during the month you port off the BYUI Sprint account.
  • Remain on the BYUI/Sprint account under a different employee I-number. If you have other family or friends that work on campus, you may switch your billing to their I-number with their permission. That person will need to contact the Sprint Department to make that change in billing responsibility. 

Retiring from BYU Idaho

When you retire from BYU Idaho, you may keep all your cell phone lines with the BYUI/Sprint contract. You will continue to receive bill notifications through your BYUI email and charges will post to your personal account here on campus. If you need to make changes to your personal account after retirement, please contact Peggy Gibson in the Accounting Services office at 208-496-1921.

In the event of a retiree passing, all cell phones on the BYUI/Sprint account, excepting the spouse, must be transferred off the account within the next billing cycle. Please see the options in the "Terminating Employment" section above for details. Call the Sprint Department if you have any questions of need help with the transfer process.