This page refers to on-campus marketing. For off-campus marketing please refer to the Off-Campus Marketing Style Guide.
Before creating the advertisement with this channel, read the information below to understand its purpose. If this channel best communicates the message to the target audience and will deliver the desired outcome of the marketing plan, then you can proceed to create the advertisement.
Social media has been approved as an acceptable form of communication for the university. All social media pages must include the Official BYU-Idaho Logo.
- You must first determine whether or not using social media fits into your department marketing strategy.
- Plan your social media content with the intent to converse with your audience, not to entertain them.
- Use your official website as the primary source of information, and your social media platform as a secondary source.
- Use other channels in tandem with social media campaigns if you feel doing so is appropriate.
- Can be used for updates and emergency announcements about an event.
- Allows for direct communication between departments and the public.
- Creates a unified presence for BYU-Idaho (when implemented correctly).
- Helps others understand more about the university and have better experiences with it.
- Your message must be appropriate for social media.
- You must be mindful of your audience. Some messages might be taken the wrong way and could reflect badly upon the university.
- Your traffic is usually smaller than the official BYU-Idaho website for your department.
- It takes a lot of effort and energy to build up traffic and even more effort to maintain it.
- Social media is a platform that can be viewed worldwide. You must ensure that your message is well understood by audiences both inside and outside the BYU-Idaho community.
- Can be costly in terms of time and effort.
- Content must fit these four criteria
- Be Authentic and Consistent
- Edify and Uplift
- Respect Intellectual Property
- Be Wise and Vigilant
- Follow these guidelines:
- All social media pages should start with “BYU-Idaho” and then follow with the organization name (i.e., BYU-Idaho Service Activities or BYU-Idaho Scroll).
- All university-related social media pages must use the required profile picture (the official BYU-Idaho logo in white on a black background).
- You may differentiate your page from other university-affiliated social media pages through: cover photos, use of university approved fonts and colors, and through your choice of university appropriate messages.
All social media accounts need to be registered with University Relations using the Social Media Registration Form. Once your social media account is registered, the full-time employee will receive an approval email within two business days.
Registration will include the following:
- Faculty Supervisor
- Student Supervisor
- Update Schedule
- Exit Strategy (what will happen to the site when it is no longer needed)
Once the approval email is received, you may use the social media account for your marketing needs. A full-time employee must be responsible for all content posted and check it regularly to make sure it represents university standards.