For a PDF Screen Reader download: Adobe Reader.
The Biology Education Major (advising code 800) track requires the completion of a Science Education minor. Due to restrictions, limitations, and requirements from both the Idaho State Department of Education (ISDE) and BYU-Idaho, Science Education majors cannot declare a non-science education minor. A graduate from this track will be certified to teach in both their major and their minor area of study. Here is a list of the science education minors.
Access the current catalog to see which classes are required for the Biology Education Major.
In addition to the completion of the specified coursework with a C- or better in all science classes, the student must complete the following in order to graduate in the program and qualify for teacher certification:
- Pass the Praxis II exam (Take Biology 5235 exam) for the major and chosen minor before student teaching.
- Pass the technology and literacy exams
- Successfully complete a practicum experience during the methods course and receive a recommendation for student teaching
- Apply for student teaching
- Complete a student teaching experience with one of the partner schools and earn a passing score in all categories
For more information about student teaching, see the Field Services Office page.