Welcome to the BYU-Idaho Vietnamese Association home page!
President: Cu La
- Phone: 208.757-7254
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Useful Vietnamese Words
|Bạn có khỏe không||/Bon-ca -koe-kong/||How are you?|
|Tôi khỏe||/Toi-koe/||I’m fine|
|Cám ơn||/Caem-on/||Thank you|
|Tạm biệt||/Taem-biet/||Good bye|
|Tôi yêu bạn||/Toi-yeu-bon/||I love you|
Did you know that...
- The current capital of Vietnam is Hanoi. We used to have Hue as the old capital city.
- The biggest and most dynamic city in Vietnam is Saigon (aka Ho Chi Minh City).
- We have 54 ethnic groups in our country (H'mong is one of these). Our most populated ethnic is Viet (88% of the population).
- Our traditional dress is called Ao-dai.
- Some interesting things that you can find in Vietnam: monochord, water puppetry, One Pillar pagoda, Central highland music, etc.
- We have lots of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in our country, such as: Phong Nha - Ke Bang (a National Park in Quang Binh), Ha Long Bay, Complex of Hue Monument, Imperial Citadel of Thang Long, Hoi An Ancient Town, My Son Sanctuary, etc.
- The most popular religion in our country is Buddhism (approximately 85% of our citizens are Buddhists).
- From elementary school to high school, students are required to wear uniform when they go to class. Different schools have different uniforms.
- Vietnamese cuisine traditionally features a combination of five fundamental taste "elements" in the overall meal. Common ingredients include fish sauce, shrimp paste, soy sauce, rice, fresh herbs, fruits and vegetables.
- Traditional Vietnamese cooking is known for its fresh ingredients, minimal use of oil, and reliance on herbs and vegetables, and is considered one of the healthiest cuisines worldwide.