Welcome to the BYU-Idaho Native American Heritage Association home page!
President: Shayla Hardman
Native American names and their meanings
|Spokane||Children of the Sun|
|Arkansas||Down Stream People|
Did you know that...
- There are more than 4.5 million Native Americans living in Canada and the United Staes
- Twenty six states in the United States have names which originate from Native American languages.
- Native Americans are the only U.S. minority group that must legally prove its minority status (race or ethnicity).
- A reservation is land a tribe reserved for itself or assigned to the tribe when it relinquished other land areas to the U.S.
- There are 302 Forested Indian Reservations which encompass 17.9 million acres of Native American forest lands—7.7 million acres of timberlands and 10.2 million acres of woodlands.
- Native American land contains an estimated 10% of all energy resources in the United States
- Native Americans do not get payments from the government for being Indian. However a tribe or individual may receive payment of income from their lands and resources that the federal government administers for them, such as fees collected from grazing leases.
- Indians do not speak one language; English is the primary language of Native Americans. However, nearly 250 tribal languages are still spoken as a second language.