Transfer Student / AP Info

studying by the spori gallery

Students who transfer to this Department from other colleges or universities may receive equivalent credit for Art courses after a portfolio review with the Department Chair. A catalog description of the Art courses taken and a transcript from the previous institution are required for that interview.

Students who have transferred from another institution who wish to be reviewed as a BFA candidate (junior-level acceptance) should have completed a minimum of 30-33 credits of their General Education and completed a minimum of 55 total credits. Transfer portfolios will be reviewed on the same dates as the regularly scheduled BFA review and should meet the portfolio review requirements listed on the BFA application. Transfer students must also submit a letter of recommendation from a member of the Art faculty of their previous institution.

Transfer students should begin by contacting Anne Berger in Arts Advising. She can be reached at (208)496-9871 or via email at Her office is located in Chapman 101. Additional questions you may have should be directed to the Department of Art at (208)496-4900.

Transfer Students can also apply for the Talent Award Scholarship. Information about the Art Talent Award Scholarship.

Advanced Placement Information

AP credits in studio arts will be granted as elective credits only. Elective courses are non-required Art courses. AP art history credits will be transferred as equivalent to BYU-Idaho Art 201 and/or Art 202 art history courses.