Beef Days at BYU-Idaho
January 15, 2014
9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
8:00 a.m. -Event Setup
9:00 a.m. -Fenton Broadhead, Academic Vice President
- Update on BYU-Idaho Ag Projects and Buildings
9:30 a.m. --Van Christman, Ag and Life Sciences College Dean
- Welcome to Beef Days
9:40 a.m. -ICA representative
- Update on Idaho Beef Industry
10:00 a.m. -Key Note Speaker, Don Adams, Ph. D, District Director, West Central Research and Extension Center Associate Dean NCTA
- Year-round beef cow nutrition
11:00 a.m. Snack break sponsored by BYU-Idaho Cattlemen's Society
- Free time to discuss products and services with industry representatives
11:15 a.m. -Benton Glaze, University Of Idaho Extension
- Idaho Beef Extension Update
12:00 p.m. -Lunch sponsored by Agri Beef Co.
- Eat and free time to discuss products and services with industry representatives.
- Competition: live weight estimations-grand prize cattlemens jacket, 1st runner up Barqs Root Beer, 2nd runner up Rep. Sponsored?
1:00-3:15 p.m. -Tour and Demonstration Section
- 1:00-1:45 p.m. Calf Scours Medical Treatment
Reduce vet expenses by doing it yourself
Dr. Zeph Quirl, DVM: live demonstration of advanced calf scours treatment.
- 1:45-2:30 p.m. Section A
Carcass Traits Assessment
Video: Recognizing carcass traits on live animals judging of live beef animals on projector screen
Meat Lab: Analyzing actual carcass traits of animals
Discourse on wholesale and retail cuts
- 2:30-3:00 p.m. Section B
Grow Safe System
Explanation of a system that identifies feed efficient animals
Progress though improvements in genetics and feed selection
Effects of digestible energy on dry matter digestibility forage passage rate, pH and rumen undegradable and degradable protein.
- 3:15-3:30 p.m. Free Time
*Schedule is subject to change