Application Timeline Overview
- Applications are submitted about 12 months before the desired enrollment date. Applications can be submitted in July for the following year.
- It is helpful to create a timeline for yourself when applying to OT school. Having an academic plan, a plan to complete extra-curricular activities, and a plan for test preparation all contribute to your timeline.
Preparing to apply
- Talk to the potential writers of your Letters of Recommendation. Give them plenty of time to write the letters.
- Continue with your volunteer, shadowing, or research activities until you have received an acceptance letter from an OT school. Do not stop these activities until you have an official offer of admission. It may take more than one application cycle to gain admission, so you need to be continually improving your application until you do.
- Prepare for and take the GRE– Register for and take it by the end of June in the year you submit your application.
- Always confirm school-specific requirements by checking each school’s website directly.
- Continue to save money for the application process.
Occupational Therapy School Application Timeline (PDF)