What is math?
Mathematics is the study of quantitative relationships expressed in numbers and symbols. It focuses on mathematical concepts and theories and involves their formulation, testing interpretation and practical application.
Why should I consider majoring in math?
Graduates with a degree in mathematics develop effective abilities in problem solving, problem formation, deductive reasoning and logical thinking. They become proficient in mathematical theories, modeling and simulation. They can analyze, manage and process data. Math is applied in fields as diverse as business, fine arts, engineering, physical science, social science, life science and computer science.
What interests and values are related to math?
Students of mathematics should be objective, logical thinkers who are thorough, patient and persistent. They often have a capacity for precision and detail, and an interest in puzzles and strategy games.
What career fields are related to math?
- Actuarial Science
- Applied Mathematics
- Banking & Financial Support Services
- Business Teacher Education
- Financial Management Services
- Investments & Securities
- Mathematics & Computer Science
- Mathematics & Statistics
- Mathematics Teacher Education
- Purchasing/Procurement/Contract Management
- Science Teacher Education
- Secondary Teacher Education
- Teacher Education
- Technology/Ind Arts Teacher Education