Major to Career: Informatics
In this program, you will learn about the theory, organization and process of information collection, transmission, and utilization on computers. You will learn how to analyze user needs for information systems and how to plan, design, develop, implement and manage networks. Through your coursework you will develop skills in problem-solving techniques, mathematics, and computer systems. You will take a series of basic courses in mathematics and computer science. You will also study systems architecture, modeling, design of computers and networks, artificial intelligence, and systems management. You will have hands-on experience with computing systems and you will have extensive use of hardware, software, and network technologies.
You might like this major if you also like: using computers to solve problems or accomplish tasks; showing others how to use computers; having your own Web site; playing computer games; working on team projects; tutoring. If you enjoy working both with computers and with people, this major could be a good choice.
- Design and build systems that are effective and easy to use
- Design the information architecture necessary to store and access repositories of information
- Analyze national and global information policy
- Assure the security and integrity of information system
- Interested in Computers.
- Skilled at organizing information.
- Able to work well alone or as a part of a group.
- Good at working with numerical data.
- Have good oral and written communication skills.
- Computer information systems skills.
- Computer Security Analyst
- Computer Support Specialist
- Computer Programmer
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Computer Network Specialist
- Library Technician
- Information Systems Manager
- Internet/Intranet Programmer
- Database Administrator
- Computer Software Engineer