Major to Career: Accounting
Accounting is the system of recording and summarizing business and financial transactions. It provides the means for organizing, summarizing and interpreting information that managers, lenders, analysts and investors need about economic activities within their organization. Accountants provide financial information and advice on how to control business operations. They can also work independently as public accountants, providing management services, audit services and tax advice.
The Accounting Major provides students with the general, business and accounting knowledge necessary to succeed as professional accountants. It teaches them how to keep their knowledge up to date throughout their professional careers. The Account Major offers students the communication, computer and interpersonal skills necessary to successfully resolve complex problems in unstructured settings.
Accountants usually enjoy business mathematics and have an ability to focus on details. They like reading business articles and strive to learn strategies for business success. Applying mathematics to practical problems is critical for accountants. They also need skills in computer information systems and a commitment to ethical conduct.
- Accounting & Related Services
- Accounting Technician
- Actuarial Science
- Banking & Financial Support Services
- Business Administration/Management/Operations
- Business Management & Marketing Services
- Financial Management Services
- General Finance
- Investments & Securities
- Office Supervision & Management
- Operations Management & Supervision
- Secretarial Science/Administrative Assisting
- Small Business Management/Operations