For a PDF Screen Reader download: Adobe Reader.

English Requirements Link     Academic Evaluation Link     Application Process Link     Finances Link

International Students Image

U.S. immigration law requires that we collect information from you to document your plans for paying for your education. The U.S. Embassy may also ask for this information when you apply for your F-1 student visa. We report to immigration the average cost of attendance for two semesters or one academic year. This amount is currently $11,050. Part 8 of the admissions application is used to document your sources of funding and any sponsors you may have. BYU-Idaho will evaluate your admissions application and make an admissions decision based on the information provided in parts 1-8, however, if you have not already submitted the documentary proof of the amounts entered in part 8, you will need to submit those documents before we are able to issue your I-20.  We encourage you to submit all parts of the application as early as possible to speed up the entire process.

The table below is a rough breakdown of the cost of attendance matching the categories on the I-20. To see more detail and a historical perspective, visit the Financial Aid Office website.

Type Of Expense LDS Non-LDS
Tuition and Fees $3,650 $7,300
Living Expenses $6,600 $6,600
Books $800 $800
Total $11,050


Scholarships and Financial Aid

BYU-Idaho has a limited variety of financial aid options available to admitted students, but there are no scholarships specific to international students.  Scholarships and financial aid are available to all students who meet the qualifications.  The Award of Excellence for incoming freshmen, for example, requires that you take the ACT or SAT to be considered.  Grants are not normally given to students in the first year of study.  Please visit Financial Aid to learn more about what is available and when to apply.

Deposit Policy

It is very important to be financially prepared to finance your education. Unexpected events can dramatically influence your ability to continue your education; your sponsor could have financial difficulties, the exchange rate might change or you might get sick. Regardless of the situation, BYU-Idaho does not have the funds to become your sponsor and pay for your schooling. While you are allowed to work on campus, opportunities are limited. Having an emergency fund can make the difference between completing your education or quitting school early. As of January 2011 the international student deposit will become your emergency fund.

All F-1 international students are required to place $4,000 on deposit with BYU-Idaho before the I-20 is issued. Because of higher tuition costs non-member international students will be required to place $6,000 on deposit. This deposit is held for the benefit of the student in an interest bearing account and may be used as follows:

  • If you need your I-20 or other admission documents sent to you via courier (FedEx, DHL, etc.,) you may request that deposit monies be used to cover this cost.
  • $1500 of the original deposit will become your emergency fund. Requests for access to these emergency funds will be evaluated by the Financial Aid and Scholarships office.
  • Remaining funds will be automatically used to cover school related expenses such as tuition, fees, insurance, books and housing up to the available balance. 
  • Any remaining deposit money, including your emergency fund, will be returned to you or your sponsor when you enter your last semester, transfer, or otherwise leave the university
  • Any remaining deposit will be returned to you when you enter your last semester, transfer, or otherwise leave the university.


Who can become a sponsor?

You, a friend, a family member, or anyone else who has the desire and the financial ability to assist a student.

It is your responsibility as a student to find a sponsor!

International students entering the United States to obtain an education are required by law to show proof of funds sufficient to provide for their needs while residing in the United States. When students do not have the necessary funds, they can enlist sponsors to assist them in meeting their financial responsibilities. Sponsors need to be listed on Part 8 of the admissions application which can be completed at

If you have further questions please email us at:

University Message