Continuing Student Deferment
A Continuing Student Deferment allows a student to miss one of their on-track semesters without having to reapply for admission. Each student is allowed only one Continuing Student Deferment throughout their time at BYU-Idaho. No additional Continuing Student Deferments will be allowed. Students who miss additional on-track semesters will lose their admission status and will be required to reapply to the University by applicable deadlines. Also, please note that deferment combinations (medical, missionary, or continuing) may not be used in consecutive semesters.
Conditions & Qualifications:
- Students may use only one Continuing Student Deferment while attending BYU-Idaho.
- Students must have completed their first semester at BYU-Idaho.
- The Continuing Student Deferment is for one semester only. Following the deferred semester, students must re-enroll at the university for the next available semester of their assigned track.
- Students may not use different types of deferments in consecutive semesters.
- Students who plan to interrupt their studies for more than one semester should contact the Admissions Office to discuss enrollment options.
- Students must have a current ecclesiastical endorsement on file with the Student Honor Office in order to defer.
- Students cannot defer if they have Honor Code restrictions, have already used a Continuing Student Deferment, or did not attend their previous on-track semester.
Instructions to the Applicant:
- Fill out the Continuing Student Deferment Form and submit it to the following offices to be reviewed and signed: Student Financial Aid-100 Kimball Building, (208) 496-1600 and Accounting/Bursar's-130 Kimball Building, (208) 496-1900. Note: International Students must contact International Services prior to filling out this form-120 Kimball Building, (208) 496-13202.
- If you are currently registered for classes in the semester you want to defer, do not drop your classes. If approved, this deferment will result in all your classes being dropped for the deferred semester, effective the date the form is submitted to the Admissions Office.
- Please be aware that you will need to have a current ecclesiastical endorsement in order to register for the next semester of your track. We encourage you to contact the Student Honor Office at (208) 496--9300 to find out when your current endorsement will expire.
- You will be notified by email when a decision has been made.
- Deadline: The last day to withdraw from school and receive "W" grades and not the grades earned. For specific dates, please see the academic deadlines at www.byui.edu/srr.
Click here to print the Continuing Student Deferment form.