Music Selection Committee
As a committee our role includes choosing the music that is played in the Manwaring Center as well as reviewing the songs played for each dance on campus. In order to promote an uplifting atmosphere for campus, there are specific guidelines that we follow.
- Available For Winter
- Available For Spring
- Available For Fall
Music Selection Guidelines
Lyrics - No Profanity or words which might have a sexual, racist, violent or degrading connotation of men, women or society in general. 13th Article Faith is also our guide. 13th Article of Faith: We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul-We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
- Underlying Message of the song - Must be positive and uplifting
- Artist - Music produced by artists whose lifestyles may not be in harmony with church teachings may be played at BYU-Idaho dances if the song meets the criteria guidelines.
- Beat - Not excessive or overly intense.
- Danceable - Music should be marked for dance ability and for tempo (fast or slow)
- Editing Music - BYU-Idaho does not edit their dance music. We also do not buy edited music at this time.
- Volume - BYU-Idaho DJs are instructed to play music not in excess of 90 decibels. (We have a monitor.)
- Committee will seek for a wide variety of music.
To request a song for the MC or Dances:
To report a song you feel is inappropriate:
If you are interested in being on the music committee please contact the music manager by e-mail at email@example.com