Teams consist of at least four players. Four to five players are on the court for a team at one time. At least one player on the court for a team must be male and at least one must be female.
Teams must wear BYU-Idaho approved gym shirts. Mesh Jerseys will be provided.
Play of the Game
WCB at BYU-Idaho is played in two 20 minute periods with a 3 minute break in between periods. Each team is given two time outs per period.
The rules for BYU-Idaho Wheelchair Basketball (WCB) come from the National Wheelchair Basketball Association. Subject to BYU-Idaho Recreation Sports rules and regulations for league play.
- Players cannot use legs for any reason. Legs must remain on the wheelchair at all times. If a player does use their legs to stop, stand or balance - the possession of the ball goes to the opponent.
- A player must dribble the ball once for every two pushes of the wheelchair. If the dribble is not taken, the play will result as a travel, and the possession of the ball will turn over to the opponent.
- A pivot takes place when a player holds the ball and turns the chair to the left or right.
Violations and Penalties
- Tilting Chair: A team loses possession when a player leans forward and tilts the chair to where the person’s feet touch the floor while gaining, maintaining, shooting, or retrieving the ball.
- Player falling out of the chair directly into the line of play is impeding play and can be a technical foul.
- If a player in control of the ball throws the ball against the chair of an opponent and the ball goes out of bounds possession goes to the opponents’ team.
- No more than two defenders can go after on offensive player in possession of the ball.
- Players cannot use the wheelchair to swerve in front of other players, but must give enough room for the opponent to stop or swerve.
- Players cannot push their teammates’ wheelchairs. Each person is responsible for their own wheelchair and are not to touch anyone else’s. It is considered a foul.
- A player with seven fouls is removed for the rest of that game.
Each player is required to sign a BYU-Idaho “Release of Liability” waiver form to play WCB.