Create Course - Multiple Separated Sections Linked to Blank Master
Review the advantages and cautions of this configuration to confirm it will meet your needs. Then select a tutorial format (bottom of screen) to guide you through the course creation process.
- Content can be created in a single course master that will apply to all sections. This is a great time-saver!
- Content that applies to a single class can be conveniently created in the desired section. Changes to one section will not affect other sections.
- Different due dates can be established for each class.
- The Groups tool works better with this configuration compared to a combined section. Each section contains a separate class list, rather than one large list of all students. When Groups are created, group members in a single group will be pulled only from students within that section.
- Due dates cannot be set in the master, so due dates must be individually set for each section. If due dates will generally be the same for all classes, it may be more convenient for you to use a combined section.
- You will not be able to view student data for all classes in a single list.
- Any content created in a section will apply to that section only and will not exist in the master.
- Content modifications that apply to all classes should always be done in the master.
- When content is created in the master, then modified in a section, the changes will apply only to that section. If the master for that content item is changed later, after the modification to the content in the section, the changes will not occur in the section for which it had previously been modified. Changes would occur, however, for other sections. When content is created in a master, then modified in a section, the transmission of data from the master to that section no longer occurs for the specific content item.
- In future semesters, to create a new master, consider carefully if you prefer to copy from the master or one of the sections. They may not be identical, depending on how you managed your content creation.
Compare to combined sections
Return to configuration selection
Tutorials: Create a Course - Multiple Separated Sections Linked to Blank Master
After creating your course, it is recommended you establish your grading settings. You can select this option from the Faculty I-Learn Resource Home.
Return to Faculty I-Learn Resource Home