Step by Step Practice - Assessment
Practice for Internet & Communications
In the Internet and Communications portion of the TCA, you will be required to use a search engine on the internet to locate certain types of files. You will also be required to perform basic tasks using online communication tools. We have identified 7 basic skills that are tested by this assessment. The skills are listed below.
Specific Tasks for the TCA
In order to demonstrate your ability to navigate the internet, complete these steps.
- Use advanced search techniques (quotes, "and", etc.) to find a credible resource that helps you answer the following copyright issue in your classroom: For how long after a public TV broadcast can you use the broadcast in your classroom without getting permission from the copyright holder?
- Find a picture of Martin Luther King Jr. and download the file and save it on your desktop in a folder called "MLKJ."
- Find a video or audio clip of Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech online.
- Send an email to yourself with the picture of Martin Luther King Jr. attached and the URL to the audio or video clip in the body of the email message.
- Login to an online discussion board (login information will be provided in the EdTech Lab). Find the discussion forum titled Martin Luther King Jr.
- Post a reply to the thread titled "respond to this thread" with your name in the title and the URL where you found the video or audio clip used above and the format of the clip in the body of the post.
- A lab assistant will come over and see your posts on the discussion board before signing you off.
- One additional item. [Since technology proficiency includes the ability to find help when you need it, on the assessment you will be asked to demonstrate one additional skill. You will not know what that skill is until you come to take the assessment. If you do not know how to do the skill, you may use any helps built in to the communications program. You will also be able to use any website (msn.com, google.com, wikipedia.com, etc.). You will not be able to ask another person (friend, relative, lab assistant, etc.) by any means (chat, email, cell phone, face-to-face, etc.).]