The Discovery Fair is an event that gives students a chance to meet over a hundred companies and graduate schools, explore different internship and career opportunities, and establish contacts within these organizations.
Local, national, and even international companies and organizations are here to inform and educate you about what they do and how you can help. These representatives are willing to answer any questions you might have and can provide essential information regarding certain occupations.
If you are looking for an internship, career or graduate school, then this fair is for you! Check out the following tips for attending to learn how you can get the most out of the fair.
- Do your research - find the list of companies that are coming. Make a list of the companies you are interested in - then learn something about them. You will make a GREAT impression if you know something about their organization, what they do, where they're located, etc. You will make a BAD impression if you approach them and know nothing about them or ask them questions about what they do.
- Prepare your résumé - make sure you have a great résumé. For help with your résumé, sign up for a résumé review online at tutortrac.byui.edu
- There will also be a Résumé Café available the week before the fair.
- Practice your interview skills - the Academic Discovery Center can assist you in getting ready to talk to employers. Sign up for a practice interview by signing up online at my.byui.edu.
- Look sharp - this isn't the county fair, this is a corporate-level affair that requires business attire. Dressing the part of a sincere job seeker indicates that you're serious about securing a position with the company. Shirt and tie or a suit is appropriate for young men. Dresses, skirts, or professional suits are appropriate for young ladies. Be sure your clothing is clean and pressed.
- Take everything with you - be sure you have enough copies of your resume with you, and a few extra. Companies register for the fair at the last minute and you don't want to have to run back home to print more copies. Be organized!
- Fair Hours - 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Don't be late.
- Check in at the Student Information booth - tables will be set up just outside the BYU-Idaho Center Courts. Pick up a map that will show you where each organization is located.
- Introduce yourself to the organizations on your list - greet employers with a smile. Give your name, major, and year in school. Tell them what appeals to you about their organization, why you would be interested in working for them, and find out how you can apply for a position with them.
- Give employers your resume - be sure you have enough copies of your resume with you, and a few extra.
- Is the organization holding an orientation or information session after the fair?
- When will they be conducting interviews?
- Whom should you contact for an interview?
- When will they be hiring and/or let you know?
- Be thorough, but not too aggressive. Be sure you get the information you need, but understand that with hundreds of students attending, you may have to wait for additional information.