Degree Progress

Degree Progress is meant to encourage all degree-seeking students to make reasonable progress in planning for and completing an undergraduate degree at BYU-Idaho. Students are encouraged to develop a Graduation Plan with the Academic Discovery Center upon admission to BYU-Idaho. This plan will serve as a tool in completing degree requirements and working toward graduation. Students who repeatedly fail to maintain high Degree Progress rates may be restricted from registration.

Ideally, all of your credits will satisfy degree requirements. Therefore, it is important to work closely with your Academic Discovery Center to develop a graduation plan that allows you to fulfill graduation requirements and still explore other courses.

Help will be available as you progress toward graduation. Students who achieve less than 85% progress will need to take advantage of this assistance. The goal is that you will achieve 100% progress each semester and graduate with 120.0 credits (fewer for an associate degree).

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I improve my Degree Progress?

If your cumulative Degree Progress rate is low it means that you have taken too many classes that are not required to graduate in your declared major, emphasis, minor or cluster. To improve your Degree Progress, you must take more required classes for graduation. A 100% progress rate for a semester means that all of the classes you are taking are required. Overtime, this will help raise your cumulative Degree Progress rate.

Q: What if I change my major?

You should submit a new Grad Plan and have it approved. First, to change your major you must be under 60.0 credits. Students with 60.0 or more earned credits must submit a petition to their Academic Discovery Center.

Q: Where do I go to declare a degree component (major, emphasis, minor or cluster)?

Students should visit their college's Academic Discovery Center to declare each degree component. Be aware that to declare a minor or cluster that is under a different college than your own, you must visit that college's Academic Discovery Center. For example, if your major is business, but you want declare a minor in dance, you would declare your major at the College of Business and Communication Academic Discovery Center and you would declare your minor with the College of Performing and Visual Arts Academic Discovery Center.

Q: Where do elective classes fit in?

At BYU-Idaho, elective credits must be carefully planned. These courses should be taken within the framework of your declared major. Most majors allow for a few elective credits and you'll want to plan to graduate with 120.0 credits total. Many students find that getting involved in the Activities Program, Academic Societies and Career Workshops Series helps with their decision-making and provide variety to their academic schedules.

Q: What is the Grad Planner?

The Grad Planner is an online tool designed to help you plan out your classes from your first semester through to graduation. Planning will help you graduate more efficiently. Students with high credit holds must submit a grad plan for approval to their Academic Discovery Center.

Q: How do I use the Grad Planner?

The Grad Planner is linked to your degree audit so you can easily see which classes you need to take. Simply drag and drop those classes into the semester you plan on taking the required class, clear any error messages that you receive and submit your plan for approval. Then, when registration opens, you will know exactly which classes you need to sign up for. Any classes not found under your Degree Audit tab can be found under the Electives tab.