Career exploration is one of the most important aspects of the admissions process. A better understanding will prove a more qualified decision, which will be reflected throughout the admissions process. Admissions committees are interested in applicants who understand the various aspects of the profession. Your personal statement and interview will reflect your depth of understanding.
Questions to Ask
It is crucial to examine your motivations and expectations before deciding on a specific career. Many students work toward a professional program with a very limited view of what is required to be successful. It is important that you ask yourself the following questions as you consider your chosen profession:
- Am I interested in the career or the lifestyle it provides?
- Do I possess the skills and abilities to successfully work in this profession?
- Will I enjoy the work expected of me in this profession?
- Do I understand the time commitment necessary to pursue a career in this profession?
- Do I understand the financial cost of attending a health profession school?
- Will this be the best career pathway for my family?
- What is my motivation for choosing this career?
- Have I developed a realistic view of this profession?