The following guidelines should be followed to ensure a student's experience is valuable.
- All internships must be directly related to a student’s major.
- Students should receive valuable instruction and guidance from a qualified mentor or supervisor.
- Shadowing is not typically approved, unless it is coupled with other hands-on experience.
- Interships must be registered on Career Navigator (click Register and Post a Job at BYU-Idaho).
- A Master Agreement — a document outlining the responsibilities of the intern, university and employer — must be signed and on file with the BYU-Idaho Internship Office. This will ensure that the intern is covered by the university's liability policy.
- An internship should typically last the length of a semester (13 weeks).
- January – April (Winter)
- April – July (Spring)
- September – December (Fall)
- Students must work a minimum of 15 hours per week; 40 hours per week is preferred.
- Students will be required to fulfill academic course work during their internship.
- Students and employers will need to complete a post-internship evaluation. Evaluation responses are not shared with the student without permission.
Any questions should be directed to the Internship Office (208) 496-9827.